General wonderment at this crazy world we live in and my personal views on the discontinuity of it all.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Don't Worry
Recently I have been wrestling with a dilemma of epic proportions. It all started when I heard, for the first time in years, the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy". It is so easy to tell someone not to worry about the anxieties in their life. In fact, we have many ways of saying so. "Chin up", "smile", and "turn that frown upside-down" are all imperialistic expressions used to command the listener to change a particular feeling. While such expressions are meant as comfort or solace, the fact is that such expressions demand a change in demeanor. It begs the question, is it really possible to will yourself into a better mood?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think the advice, 'don't worry, be happy', is probably the best advice that any could be given. Man plans, while God laughs; so basically we have little control over our external circumstances, but over one's internal, one has greater dominion.
Perhaps. Although, sometimes you just feel how you feel, control be damned.
Post a Comment