As many of you may know, I am a fan of the cell phone. In fact, it is unusual to find me sans phone, but unfortunately some abuse the convenience of these handy little devices. I believe that anyone who works in a service industry can sympathize. Let me share my thoughts on this.
From time to time, I work the cash register at my place of employ and recently I have encountered a profusion of individuals who carry on a conversation while being checked out. They tend to ignore both the cashier and other customers who may be bothered by their obtuseness. This reduces the human element to the cashiering process to little more than scenery in the shopping experience. It objectifies the living, breathing person performing a service. Most of all, however, it is just plain rude.
I propose that all such insensitive and abhorrent individuals be drawn and quartered, shot, and burned at the sake. If such measures are a bit grisly for the modern mind, it should at least be kosher to ask the vagrant to postpone their vocal communion until after they have completed their transaction.
4 comments:
I'm with ya sista!
I don't mind, terribly, as when someone is conversing while ringing up their groceries, it means that it is unnecessary for me to engage them in banal conversation. Where it becomes frustrating to me, is when the phone-bearing customer cannot 'chew gum and walk at the same time', so to speak, i.e., they cannot use their debit cards efficiently or correctly, which causes frustration, and the slowing of lines.
Its all bad I say.
A couple weeks ago, I was purchasing a book. While the cashier was rining up my purchase and bombarding me with a devastating number of inane offers and such nonsense, my phone rang. It was a rather important call, that only took 15 seconds, but I felt terrible about it.
Post a Comment