I was listening to the Carly Simon classic "You're So Vain" today and one of the lyrics struck me a bit odd. The last part of the second verse says 'I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee...', which is great because it flows nicely with the song and it is a fantastic visual image. That is until you really think about it.
I was singing along (loudly, as I was in my car and no one was close enough to hear me murder the tune) and trying to visualize my coffee being corrupted by clouds and then I realized that my coffee actually is corrupted by 'clouds' every time I put cream in it. I love putting cream in my coffee! It looks like a tiny nuclear explosion, complete with mushroom cloud and faux nuclear winter.
I can only conclude that Carly Simon prefers her coffee black, uncorrupted by billowing trails of milky goodness. (And on a more metaphorical note, that apparently in this song, she saw her dreams as clouding her reality; which, is sad really as I think my dreams enhance and color my reality in a most delicious way.)
2 comments:
maybe she meant she likes the milky goodness too? :)
Dilutions of any sort have got a bad rep. A poem from the Kokinshu: Shall we call a dream only those visions seen in slumber? This fragile world in which we live seems equally unreal.
Post a Comment