In this digital age, we have many forms of communication open to us. From the omnipresent cell phone to email to the text message, all pathways to freely express one's self to one's peers are unobstructed. It has often been argued that such relatively impersonal forms of communication lead to an isolated and socially inept individual, and in some instances this does appear to be the case. However, there are several distinct advantages to utilizing such forms of contact.
One of the most significant is the fact that such non-direct exchanges can allow individuals to discuss emotionally charged or otherwise difficult conversations in a way that lets both parties have enough space to remain objective enough to continue a rational discussion. In such situations, an individual who is particularly averse to the minefield of emotional peril would be able to step back and navigate such a treacherous course with a minimum of discomfort. There is much to be said of the ability to spare one's self the pain of an ill planned word.
Another advantage more specific to the text genre of interval contact is its accessibility in places where other means of communication would be impossible. For example, many find it easier to text while "on the clock" than it could ever be to incessantly talk on the phone or even email on the company monitored computer. Vigilant employees may even be able to mask such constant use of their personal devices for long periods of time.*
Overall, I must say that despite some of the drawbacks of these newfangled contraptions, the advantages tip the scales in their favor. However did we manage before the advent of our modern day security blankets?
*Something I myself have no familiarity with I'm sure.
2 comments:
Yeah, thank goodness for technology as it is. Look how we can nurture friendships online! I am finding all sorts of long lost friends and reconnecting with them, I love it!!
Technology is a beautiful thing. I agree strongly with your statement, that the more impersonal text- or IM-conversation can be used to discuss topics of 'emotional peril'. I disagree strongly, however, with texting while on the clock. That time belongs to one's employer.
Post a Comment